Ladies Love Ministry by Joyce Felton

3:40 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Joyce Felton has been a member of Calvary Baptist Church for about 44 years. She volunteers in the Park area of Kid City, plays the piano for the Friendship class, and attends ladies prayer room as well as Bible study on Wednesday nights.  Along with keeping grandchildren, Joyce enjoys cooking for her family, having them over for a meal, or cooking and sending it home with them.  Joyce also loves talking with friends, quilting with those who quilt, and exchanging books with other readers.

Ladies Love Ministry by Joyce Felton

I had only attended one meeting when Loretta Cook (who started the latest version of the Calvary Ladies’ Love Ministry) asked me to help her with the purpose of taking over leadership. I appreciated her faith in me yet balked at the idea until the Lord pointed out that she had over 28 years on me and I should be willing to help. I couldn’t do what she did by organizing a place to meet each month at a restaurant, so I asked if she minded if we met at the Family Life Center and provided a meal there. We asked the ladies and they agreed to pay or help cook. And I don't have to do it by myself.  Along with all the ladies that help, my daughter-in-law, Beth, and her boys help make sure all the food is prepared, tables are set, and help with  all those small details that make it come together. She's been my right-hand and I couldn't do it without their help. 

Working with the strong Christians and seeing their steadfast faith has been such a blessing to me and made me want that closeness to the Lord for myself. There is not a day that passes that I don’t think about my friends who attend and our friends who can’t be with us because they are not able. God has given me a love for this ministry.

The question is ”How can we not see and experience God each day as we pray for and minister to others?" What a lovely time of community and fellowship we have each month as we share about the needs and answered prayers from the month before. Wouldn’t you say that is sharing life? And serving others with cards, calls, visits, and prayers? It is staying connected with those who can’t physically stay connected to us. Most of our group do not text or Facebook, but there is nothing wrong with their ability to take the time to call and visit with each other and those in need. Amazing!

I am reminded of the chorus of an old song “Others” that goes like this: 
”Others, Lord, yes others 
Let this my motto be.  
Help me to live for others, 
that I might live like Thee.”

Being with this group of ladies has been one of the greatest blessings. They are the most caring and generous people I know.  They keep up with the ones who are sick or hurting and keep me informed of the needs of others. They are truly a group of prayer warriors. 

The work and commitment these ladies put in reminds me of Ephesians 4:32a says “Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted……” and again in Matt. 25:35-4 when the Lord said (and I paraphrase) when you have done anything for one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it for me.

The Ladies Love Ministry meets every first Tuesday of the month in the Family Life Center at 11:30am.  All ladies are welcome and encouraged to come and fellowship!

Our mission is simple: Become whole-hearted followers of Jesus Christ. The people of Calvary Baptist Church in Grand Prairie, TX seek to fulfill our mission by accomplishing these four actions: See God - To experience God in fresh ways every week. Share Life - To enjoy biblical community with our church family. Serve Others - To manifest God’s love in tangible acts of service. Stay Connected - To remain in supporting fellowship during the pains of life.