If We’re Honest by Carol Leatherwood

10:32 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Carol Leatherwood became a member of Calvary when she enrolled as a student at Arlington Baptist College in 1975. Carol and her husband, Robert, were married at Calvary in 1978. They have two grown children, Amy and Bobby, and one grand-darling, Brylee.  Carol is a musical person and began singing as a young child. It has been an important part of her life for as long as she can remember. In fact, the Leatherwoods are a musical family and Carol loves when they have the opportunity to sing all together.  In her spare time, Carol enjoys reading a good book and occasionally writing poetry.  She loves and spending time with Brylee who keeps Carol laughing and makes her feel lucky to be her Yaya.  Carol believes God brought she and Robert home when He brought them back to Calvary; for that she is truly grateful.  The Leatherwoods have been in music ministry throughout their married life. They have been blessed to served in churches in New Mexico, Florida, Michigan and also in Texas. In February 2013, Pastor Brian asked Robert to step in as interim worship leader at Calvary until Brandon was available to come and the Leatherwoods felt God's call to remain at Calvary. Carol says they are blessed to be a part of this wonderful church family. 

If We’re Honest

If we’re honest, we would all say that even if we have been a believer for a long time, we sometimes have moments when we struggle and even our faith is challenged.

Last summer I found a lump on the side of my face.  It was a tumor.  One that was not cancerous, but could develop into cancer…so I was advised to have it removed.  Due to the location of the tumor, there was a possibility that a nerve could be damaged during the surgery.  I could end up with that side of my face being paralyzed. If that happened, would I be able to talk?  Or Sing?  I didn’t know.  But it was a risk that I had to take.  So on August 25, 2015 I had the surgery.  I woke up to find my left eye wouldn’t fully close and would not blink.  My left eyebrow was paralyzed and the left side of my face at the point of  surgery.  Also,  the left side of my mouth did not move. The doctor said it could take up to six months to regain full use of my eye/eyebrow/mouth.  I just had to wait and pray.  And that I did…continually.  I went back to work the following week.  

At 3:15PM on October 1, 2015 I was called into the general manager’s office and was told that my job was being eliminated.  As of 4:00PM my services were no longer required.  As of 4:00PM my job was gone.  I loaded up my stuff in a box, called Robert and went home.  Being that we are a 2-income family, I was more than a bit concerned.  But I knew that God had always taken care of us and He would again.

So now, I had a face that didn’t function normally.  I no longer had a job.  All I knew is that I had to trust Him. To be honest, it was hard and scary at times… I had to trust Him.  I had no other option.

Soon after that time Bro. Ron started the Tuesday evening prayer meetings.  It happened at just the right time.  It was just what I needed.  No better way to forget about yourself is to pray for someone else.  Not only that, the group prayed for me too.  Double blessing.  

Soon afterward Pastor Brian started the “Crossroads” series.  Wow.  To be honest…I felt like the sermons were just for me.  I was at a crossroad.  I didn’t know what God’s will was for me.  I was still trying to remain positive that I would fully recover from the surgery and that I would find a job.  I was just taking it day by day…step by step…   While waiting, God gave me the opportunity to do some things I never had a chance to do before.  I got to go to The State Fair.  I got to go some of the Young @ Heart meetings. I even got to go to Canton.  God kept giving me blessing after blessing. 

It was now the first of the year.  I still had not secured a job.  I was still filling out numerous applications and submitting resumes daily and still nothing.  My face was still partially frozen but it was healing.   During this time Karen Sneed felt impressed to start an early morning prayer group.  It was exactly what I needed.  What a blessing those ladies have been to me.  We still meet every week to pray and visit…and leave encouraged.  I look forward to it every week.  I also had the opportunity to go to breakfast with a couple sweet ladies.  They were such a blessing to me.  We prayed, we ate, we visited.  Did my heart good.

I came across an article that stopped me in my tracks.  It was from Relevant Magazine.  The article was “What we get wrong about finding God’s will.”  One part, in particular, spoke to me. It said, “Instead of praying to find God’s will, let’s start praying to find faith in God’s guidance.”  I needed to have faith in the journey.  I needed to trust Him step by step… I had to let go.  I couldn’t worry about losing things.  I had to trust that regardless of what happened that it would all be OK.  

Just a week before my unemployment was to run out…I got a job.  Actually, I was initially turned down for the job.  I was so sure it was the one for me.  I kept praying and kept walking by faith.  Then I got the call that they wanted me for the position.  It was all in God’s timing.  I fully believe He was giving me time to heal physically, emotionally and spiritually.  He gave me a job, not when I thought I was ready, but when He knew I was ready.  

I am now happily working and my face is back to normal…well as normal as it ever was or will be. (Haha)  I am so thankful for a God who is faithful even when our faith waivers.  

So, if we’re honest,  we will see that He loves us and blesses us; not because who we are, but because of who He is.   

Take care and God bless,
Carol Leatherwood

 
Francesca Battistelli - If We're Honest (Official Audio)

Our mission is simple: Become whole-hearted followers of Jesus Christ. The people of Calvary Baptist Church in Grand Prairie, TX seek to fulfill our mission by accomplishing these four actions: See God - To experience God in fresh ways every week. Share Life - To enjoy biblical community with our church family. Serve Others - To manifest God’s love in tangible acts of service. Stay Connected - To remain in supporting fellowship during the pains of life.