The A/V Ministry by Mark Prater

3:47 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Mark Prater has been attending Calvary Baptist Church for over forty years and resides in Irving, TX with his wife Angell.  Nearly every Sunday you'll find Mark working with the audio/visual crew to record, render, and publish each week's sermon via YouTube. In his spare time, Mark enjoys estate sales with his family and heading to the shooting range.

Being a ham radio operator I have always had an interest in audio/video. I always felt I could serve in some capacity just wasn't sure what. I started doing the sound/video for the Calvary Baptist School and got acquainted with Shane Thornton. I let him know I was interested in working in the audio/video department.  Working in the audio/video department is a ministry. Posting the sermons/worship service on the internet reaches souls we could not reach from where we are. I believe what we do helps to reach the community.

It has taught me to be more aware, listen carefully (more so than a person attending the service.) There is never a dull moment; we see/hear things different than what the congregation sees/hears.
We get busy and sometimes we don't get to hear all of the service due to making sure the service is presented in the best possible way. You would not believe how many times I hear something from Brian and it about slaps me in the face and sticks with me forever. The one most powerful sentence that I use and tell everyone that needs it is: "God Is In Control". That was such a powerful sentence that helps me daily. I have learned how to let God take control, that was hard for me because I always thought I had to be in control of my life.


We have a great group of people in the department, very dedicated. We welcome anyone to come visit and see what we do and get involved.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Our mission is simple: Become whole-hearted followers of Jesus Christ. The people of Calvary Baptist Church in Grand Prairie, TX seek to fulfill our mission by accomplishing these four actions: See God - To experience God in fresh ways every week. Share Life - To enjoy biblical community with our church family. Serve Others - To manifest God’s love in tangible acts of service. Stay Connected - To remain in supporting fellowship during the pains of life.